In industrial automation and networking applications the factory environment can be viewed in three layers: the device network, the control network and the corporate network. Each layer operates in an environment where significant challenges must be overcome to ensure a reliable communication system. In the face of unwanted interference from ground loops and electromagnetic interference (EMI), equipment designers frequently take advantage of fiber optic connectivity to preserve and protect the equipment and communication links.
Firecomms fiber optic POF transceivers deliver on the harsh demands of industrial automation and networking applications, ensuring the integrity of transmitted data is not compromised by high voltage environments or electromagnetic interference. Firecomms has developed our light sources and communications ICs with the deep understanding of the stresses and strains placed on industrial networking applications. Our light sources use Resonant Cavity LED (RCLED) technology to ensure the strongest optical output at the lowest currents while preserving stability after decades of operation. Our robust receiver topologies guarantee error-free reception in high EMI fields.
Benefits of Firecomms Fiber Optics for Industrial Automation Applications
Firecomms products with Plastic Optical or Plastic Clad Fiber (POF/PCS) links offer many advantages in industrial networking applications:
- EMI/RFI immunity ideal for industrial, harsh, noisy environments
- Galvanic isolation between transmitter and receiver, ideal for harsh, noisy industrial environments
- Visible spectrum operation enables eye-safe, fast troubleshooting
- Low power consumption, transmitters capable of operation at 3-4mA
- Durable, flexible and lightweight
- Resilient to bending and vibrations
- High reliability for extended machine uptime
- Industrial temperature in range of -40 to +85ºC
- Reduced maintenance cycle time provides up to a 20-year lifecycle on transceivers and cables
- Simplified field installation for easy termination of large core optical fibers in custom distances